Votives


The consecrated grounds are an ancient tradition coming from the distant past long before adoption of Christianity. It is assumed that they are related to the old beliefs in the natural forces and the need to propitiate them by gifts and sacrifices.

In Bulgaria the greatest numbers of votive crosses are situated in modern western part. At the territory of municipality of Svoge the crosses are hundreds. In 1921 the artist Ivan Enchev-Vidio who visits the village of Iskrets to document old crosses, writes: "In the village and its surrounding area in the fields and hills there are about 50-60 consecrated grounds dedicated to different saints and owned by different families”.

This web site presents only the beginning of the collection of votive crosses. Between all crosses here we publish only the oldest dated back to the 18 and 19 century. This collection will grow with time as these monuments are one of the greatest treasures of the region.


Saints Peter and Paul

village of Leskov dol

Cross of an unknown saint

village of Manastiriste

Cross of an unknown saint

village of Manastiriste

Saints Cyril and Methodius, village of Redina

see: Tumulus necropolis near village of Redina

Cross

village of Redina

Cross

town of Svoge

Cross

village of Tompsan